Monday, December 3, 2007

A 1:48 scale Christmas Breakaway Box




Well - I have the photos downloaded, just have to work out how to get them up here....

Ah! Now that was easy peasy!
To the left is the small gift box I started with - basically a throwaway item. Lots of the materials in the project were 'trash' that I rescued.



To the right is a photo of my Holiday Breakaway box near two of my other passions - Coffee and Cola... or maybe that's just one... Caffeine... This should make it clear to non-miniaturists what 1:48 scale looks like.


Below is the not quite finished proje
ct. I still need to decorate the Christmas tree and make a few other Chrismas-y things...

The armchair and sofa were the very first minis I ever made... I look at them now and say "I could do better" but they have a certain sentimental value... The coffee table is made from Mini-Magnum sticks (Magnums number amongst my other wicked passions: ice cream). The bookcase is actually paper tole. The rest of the furniture is the brown plastic stuff that comes on a card which has been painted to match the coffee table and bookcase. The snowman in the yard was turned on a lathe by my husband, Robert Boot, then painted by me. The outdoor tree was something I ripped off a cheap ornament and 'planted' in Crayola Model Magic. I can't remember where the inside tree came from, it probably has a similar origin though. The bricks in the yard were leftover printies from another project, the green carpet was a scrap I scavenged from a card, the wallpaper was a scrap leftover that was exactly enough and not a bit more for those two walls, the floor under the table was a scrap that my friend Anne was going to throw away and I said "No - I'll find a use for it." The cake on the table is actually a 1:12 scale petit four made from foam, glue and paint. The tea set on the table was a gift from a friend in the US... it is sterling and will eventually go in my 1:48 scale cabinet house (as it is much too nice for the 'throwaway' box) but it will be here for the holidays.

2 comments:

Janet McKinney said...

Well done - you have got a posting and photos up. It isn't hard is it.

Have fun

Robert Boot and Charlene Mirabella said...

Thanks Janet - now all I need is TIME..LOL.